Know your TAN Status
How to know your TAN Status online? TAN or Tax Deduction and Collection Account Number is a 10 digit number combined with alphabets and numerals. This is issued by the Income Tax Department, and is an important number for all assesse who are accountable to deduct TDS.
TDS is required to apply for TAN and can use the TAN number in all TDS returns, TDS Payments, and any other option regarding TDS with the Income Tax Department. Here are all the details you need to know your TAN, and how to register for it. How to know your TAN number easily.
Importance Of TAN Number
According to the Section 203A of the Income Tax Act 1961, every individual who are accountable to deduct or collect tax are needed to apply for the TAN or Tax Deduction Collection Account Number.
It is also compulsory for them to quote their TAN number in all TDS or TCS returns, TDS or TCS payments, and also TDS or TCS certificates which are to be issued. And if by chance, they fail to produce their TAN number they will have to pay a fine of Rs.10,000 and even the bank won’t accept the TDS returns or payments.
Check: OLTAS challan status
Who Can Allot TAN Number?
TAN is allotted specifically by the Income Tax Department. It is allotted based on the application submitted at the NSDL-TIN website online or to the TIN-Facilitation Centers manages by NSDL. NSDL will be sending the TAN number to the applicant at the address mentioned in the application form.
Who Are Eligible To Apply For TAN?
Now comes the frequently asked question- who can apply for the TAN number. Below are the lists of authorities or people who can apply for TAN.
- Central or State Government Authority
- Statutory or Autonomous bodies
- Company or branch or division of a particular company
- Individual or sole proprietorship or even the branch of an individual business
- Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)
- Firm or even branch of a firm
- Association of persons or body of an individual or even association of persons or trusts or even artificial juridical person
How To Apply For TAN Number
Any of the above mentioned applicants are eligible to apply for TAN. Below is the procedure to apply for TAN. TAN can be applied both online as well as offline and for this a payment of 62 is needed to be made. The payment can be done in the form of demand draft or cheque or credit card or net banking or even debit card. To apple for TAN online, applicants need to fill an application form NO. 49B by going to the website called NSDL and fill up the Form 49B. Here is a detailed procedure-
- The deductor or collector must fill up the Area Code, AO Type, Range Code, and also the AO Number.
- It is mandatory to fill up the designation of the person responsible for making payment or collecting tax
- The address must be filled up correctly and should be Indian Address only
- The payment as already mentioned can be done through various forms like- cheque, demand draft, net banking, credit cards, or even debit card.
- The payment must be made at the end of the application. However, those who are applying for Central or State Government and Statutory or Autonomous Body, for them the credit card or debit card or net banking option is not available.
After the applicant has filled up all the details and clicked on the submit button, they will see a confirmation screen with all the information’s as filled up by the applicant. They can then confirm the written information’s or even edit for before the final submission. After the final submission they will see an acknowledge screen which will consist of-
- A unique 14 digit acknowledgement number
- The status of the application
- Name of the applicant
- Contact details as filled up
- Payment details
- Space for the signature
Conclusion of TAN
Applicants can either save or even print the acknowledgement. They have to send the signed copy of the acknowledgement letter with seal stamp (if needed) to NSDL. So these were all the needed information’s to know your TAN and it’s importance. Also we shared some information about scholarship like karepass scholarship and more. Stay connected with us for more information!